HISTORY ROOM OPENED
The official opening of the Lantzville Historical Society’s archival workspace was held on Saturday July 8th at 10:30 am. The room is located under the back of Costin Hall and will enable society members and volunteers to access their photo and document collection for research purposes at any time. A number of projects have been delayed due to access to much of this material. Now that it is in one place the society can complete its “Minetown Walking Tour” project, continue the documenting of the early farming and settlement history and begin the second volume of Lantzville’s history: “the Improvement District Years”.
On behalf of the whole community thanks are due primarily to Councillor Bob Colclough who recognized and agreed with the society’s need for this space. He saw it through the approval process with the District (owners of the building), the Seaside Society (operators of the building) and then did most of the construction himself from framing and drywalling to door and window installation to painting and finishing. The Concrete was donated by Mayco Mix. Island Concrete Finishing volunteered to wheel, place and finish the concrete and Nancy Gillies donated her time on the installation of the electrical wiring. Councillor Will Geselbracht donated the exterior siding.
22 residents attended the opening ceremony. Society President Lynn Reeve made a speech outlining the need for this dedicated workspace and the contributions of Councillor Colclough and the other volunteers. Councillor Colclough cut the ribbon. The room featured some artifact displays, a slide show of Lantzville photos, and a screening of the 1943 National Film Board’s “Lessons in Living”, filmed in Lantzville with residents performing as themselves. Cookies were provided by BJ Reeve from her collection of historical recipes. They were delicious.