Letters from You
We get lots of letters from folks who are passionate about Lantzville. Here’s our policy regarding “Letters from You”:
• LCN reserves the right accept or reject letters sent to us.
• LCN supports healthy, informed debate: the lifeblood of a strong democracy.
• LCN ‘s principle of Respect bans personal attacks.
• This society does not tolerate direct or indirect attacks, name calling or insults. Such comments will be removed.
• This is a public forum and not the place for pursuing vendettas or accusations.
• Disagreements can be expressed without malicious comments.
• The views expressed are those of the letter writer and do not necessarily reflect the opinion or official policy of LCN.
• We do not permit anonymous comments.
• LCN assumes no liability for any inaccurate, delayed or incomplete information, nor for any actions taken in reliance thereon.
RURAL DEVELOPMENT GROWTH AND URBAN CONTAINMENT BOUNDARIES According to BC Climate Action: “ An Urban (and Growth) Containment Boundary (UBC and GCB) sets aside land to be protected from most forms of development. Usually an “UCB” will delineate the edge of town and...read more
HOW TO DIVIDE A COMMUNITY Councillor Denise Haime dropped a bombshell early on in the proceedings of the marathon (7:00 – 11:15pm) Council Meeting on Monday Feb 26th. Her comments may account for the very sour mood that prevailed for the rest of the meeting and the...read more
PLEBISCITARY DEMOCRACY HAS THE TIME COME? Perhaps Lantzville is small enough and interconnected enough to experiment with plebiscitary democracy where the entire enfranchised population is periodically called upon to decide on major issues. The major problem with the...read more
Lantzville’s OCP a decisions for the future I don’t think many residents realize existing ½ and ¼ acre urban lots in Lantzville are a 1960’s 70’s subdivision creation and a product of no sewer and/or water availability. They are now an obsolete anomaly and to create...read more
MODERATION OR EXPLOSIVE GROWTH? LOBBY MARK SWAIN NOW! The most important Council decision-making process in the short history of our municipality will take place at 6:00 pm on Monday the 19th of February in the District Council Chamber. What is at stake is the outcome...read more
Coming together In all things there are three sides to a story - my truth, your truth and the real truth. “The truth is rarely pure and never simple.” Oscar Wilde, “The Importance of Being Ernest”. Here are some statistics as a result of the 2016 census that I thought...read more
BRIDGE FOR SALE B Blood The OCP Review finally came before Council on Dec 18th. The process brought to mind a memorable Council meeting from the past when a consultant made a presentation to the deJong Council about a development proposal and proceeded to give the...read more
KNOW YOUR COMMUNITY The discussions around OCP revision and water agreements by those who have an aversion to change, often tend to towards exaggerations of substance. I think it is understandable given this community is demographically aging. Added is the...read more
Lantzville Council members, Lantzville OCP Review Committee Re: Feedback on OCP Review “Public Event” NOV 9th 2017 Nov 11 2017 Dear Lantzville Council and OCP Review Committee The “Public Event” held at the Legion building on Nov 9th underlined the two major...read more
Lantzville OCP Review Committee members and consultant: Gary Peters, Ian Savage, Dave Scott, Ross McKeever, Barry French, Jamie Wilson, Denise Haime, Dot Neary, David Reid. District of Lantzville Council members and staff: Mayor Colin Haime, Councillor Bob Colclough,...read more